A nine-week summer work experience that will allow you to gain in-depth understanding of the role of the Registered Nurse in clinical practice at one of our many facilities.
At KentuckyOne Health, our Nurse Extern Program will give you the unique opportunity to apply the knowledge you have gained in your academic program to the hands-on clinical setting. You will benefit from the expertise of specialized nursing staff and work with diverse patient populations. We have many exciting clinical opportunities that will give you a “head start” on your senior year and as you begin your career in nursing.
How the Program Works
- Your externship will include an assignment at a KentuckyOne Health facility in your area
- Program Dates: May 21-July 20
- At the completion of the program, we will have a celebration in honor of your success
Our Nurse Extern Program strives to help participants:
- Increase patient care management, organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrate greater proficiency with clinical skills
- Experience professional growth and increased self-confidence in caring for patients
Applicant must be:
- Enrolled in an accredited school of nursing and participate in the program the summer before graduation
- Must be actively enrolled in either BSN or ADN programs, in good academic standing, with a projected graduation date thru May 2019
- Able to meet KentuckyOne Health job-related requirements
- Certified in Basic Life Support
- Must submit two letters of recommendation from academic faculty, cover letter and official transcript with the online application (details below)
- Cannot be contracted to a non-KentuckyOne Health facility after graduation
- Must be able to work 40-hour orientation during week one of the program
- Will work 36 hours a week for remainder of the program
The KentuckyOne Health Nurse Extern Program pairs the nurse extern with an experienced RN preceptor to work side-by-side caring for a specific patient population while having the opportunity to shadow other care specialties. Additional clinical education and professional development activities will be provided. There is also the possibility of continued work opportunities in part-time or relief positions at the end of the program.
Summer Externs have the opportunity to:
- Work one-on-one with an RN completing assessments, performing treatments and procedures, and learning about medication administration and charting standards.
- Choose a nursing area of interest, including Medical/Surgical, Intensive Care, Emergency, Rehabilitation (Adult or Pediatric), or Psychiatric Care
- Opportunity for PRIORITY job placement upon RN graduation
- Online applications will be accepted January 15, 2018 through April 15, 2018.
- To start the online application process, please search for job number 1800000028 for Louisville/Bardstown facilities and 1700000770 for Lexington facilities. Please include the below required documents to the online application.
- All required documents to be submitted together online with the application:
- Cover letter to include:
- Why you are interested in the program
- Your top 3 facility choices
- Your top 3 clinical areas of preference
- Two letters of recommendation from academic or clinical instructors
- An official transcript from your school registrar
Questions may be submitted to: Clinical Education via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: Current KentuckyOne Health employees are not eligible to participate in the 2018 Extern Summer Program, however, if you are a KentuckyOne Health employee graduating no later than December 2019 and interested in a summer experience, please contact your recruiter or educator to develop a customized learning experience.