In 1950, Amelia Brown Frazier had had enough! Left ailing and in need of rehab from a car accident in 1929, she was traveling to New York to receive her care at The Rusk Institute, a leader in an emerging field of physical medicine and rehab. As a woman of vision, and tired of not having her care needs met at home, she set out to create a comparable facility in her home town.
Using her resources and influence, she served as the catalyst for the creation of The Rehabilitation Center, Inc. in 1951. In 1984, the name was changed to the Amelia Brown Frazier Rehabilitation Center in honor and recognition of her leadership to the organization. In 1994, following a long term relationship with Jewish Hospital to include 10 years of management, Frazier Rehab Institute merged into Jewish Hospital HealthCare Services. Over the past five decades, Frazier Rehab Institute became the recognized regional leader in rehab care, creating an unparalleled network of services and locations. Patients come from across the country, as well as throughout the southeastern region of the U.S., Kentucky and southern Indiana to receive the care offered at Frazier Rehab Institute. One of the guiding forces of this success has been a relationship with the University of Louisville and its Medicine, Nursing, Allied Health and Speed Engineering schools. Through an agreement with the University, the Frazier Rehab Institute is now the exclusive teaching site for the University of Louisville School of Medicine in rehabilitative medicine.
Today, health care professionals from many areas at the University of Louisville are associated with Frazier Rehab Institute. This affiliation continues to allow us to closely align patient care with the training of health care professionals. It has been instrumental in the development of many new programs and the continued evolution of the care that Frazier Rehab Institute provides to the patient.