Brain Injury Program
At Frazier Rehab Institute, the Brain Injury Program provides intensive, comprehensive services designed to prevent or minimize disability, while restoring the person to optimal levels of physical, cognitive, behavioral and emotional functioning.
A brain injury or illness can be devastating for both patients and family members. The results can mean dramatic changes in a person’s mental, emotional and physical functioning.
Frazier’s Brain Injury Program, which is accredited by CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities), addresses the long-term impact of brain injury and offers the most complete continuum of rehab services in Kentuckiana. Involvement begins when the admission coordinator visits patients in the acute care hospital setting, wherever possible, to begin educating the families and preparing for the patients to enter rehab.
Program Goals and Benefits
- To provide a formally organized program for support and advocacy for the brain injured individual and family.
- To educate families to understand the effects of the brain injury and the recovery process.
- To improve behavioral problems, address personality changes, and educate the patient and family about self-awareness deficits associated with brain injury through psychological intervention and an interdisciplinary approach.
- To improve the patient’s thought processes, memory skills, perception and judgement through cognitive retraining activities.
- To encourage active participation and education of the patient’s family through attendance at the patient’s therapy sessions, when appropriate, and through routinely scheduled family teaching sessions.
- To develop a comprehensive discharge plan for the patient by working closely with the patient and family to identify needed resources and services and make appropriate referrals.
- To promote maximum independence in reintegration to home and the community.
Types of Brain Injury Treated
Frazier Rehab Institute’s Brain Injury Program offers comprehensive services to traumatic and non-traumatic brain injury patients of all ages and at all stages of recovery – from coma to mild brain injury. Our rehab team has clinicians specializing in treatment of pediatric and adult brain injuries, including:
- Anoxic or hypoxic events (lack of oxygen to the brain)
- Exposure to toxic substances
- Brain tumors
- Traumatic brain injury
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury/Concussion
In 2013, Frazier's Brain Injury program has provided inpatient rehab services to:
17 children ages 0-5.
12 children ages 6-12.
18 adolescents ages 13-17.
The downtown outpatient program has provided services to 34 adolescents ages 13-17.
The NeuroRehab Program has provided services to 10 adolescents ages 13-17.
Before You Choose . . .
Know that Frazier Rehab Institute offers an accredited, interdisciplinary Brain Injury Program accredited by CARF and backed by a team of experienced professionals.
Frazier Rehab Institute welcomes all commercial insurance plans, Medicare, and KY Medicaid, and we accept the negotiated rate established between Frazier Rehab Institute and your insurance company.
- Assistive Technology Program
- NeuroRehab Program
- Community Fitness and Wellness
- Drivers Education and Training Program
- Pediatric Rehab
- Interested in participating in a clinical trial? Click here for more details
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Clinical Trials
It Can Wait-Texting And Driving
Frazier Rehab Institute encourages you not to text and drive. Many serious brain injuries are caused by distracted driving. This public service video from AT&T illustrates the dangers of texting while driving. A segment of the video was shot at Frazier Rehab Institute.
Frazier Rehab Institute
220 Abraham Flexner Way
Louisville, KY 40202