Neuropsychology / Psychology Services
Neuropsychology and Psychology Services at Frazier Rehab
What We Do
The Department of Psychology and Neuropsychology Services offers comprehensive psychological and neuropsychological assessment and treatment services for individuals with a range of medical, neurological, degenerative, genetic, and other disorders. Services are aimed at helping patients and their family or caregivers understand diagnoses, maximize functioning, and maintain quality of life.
Patients may be referred for services by their physician during their acute inpatient rehabilitation process or on an outpatient basis to facilitate adjustment along the continuum of care. Assessment and therapy services are a standard component of many of our programs, including brain injury, stroke, and spinal cord . Our team of experts helps patients and families navigate and overcome the cognitive, emotional, and behavioral challenges associated with various medical diagnoses to optimize physical and emotional well-being.
Individualized Neuropsychological Evaluations
Neuropsychological assessments are tailored to an individual’s needs and referral questions. Assessments generally involve review of an individual’s developmental, medical, educational, and family history, a clinical interview with the patient/caregiver(s), and formal psychometric testing. Evaluations are available for patients ranging from pediatric to geriatric age ranges who have known or suspected brain dysfunction stemming from a wide variety of neurological conditions, including but not limited to:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Memory Loss
- Dementia and Neurodegenerative Diseases
- Parkinson’s Disease and other Movement Disorders
- Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders
- Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease
- Toxic-Metabolic syndromes
- Concussion, including Sports-Related Injuries
- Pre/Post-Surgical Evaluations
Formal testing may include measures of the following:
- Adaptive skills
- Executive functions
- Intellectual functioning
- Language and language-related functions
- Learning and memory
- Non-verbal/visual processing
- Motor skills
- Personality and social-emotional functioning
- Academic achievement
Health and Behavior Therapy
Therapy services are also individualized to address psychological, cognitive, behavioral, somatic, and/or social disturbances associated with wide range of medical diagnoses or conditions. An important component of therapy for many individuals is providing injury/illness education to help prepare patients and their families to transition to the community with maximal cognitive, emotional, and social functioning and independence. Therapy often involves patients and their families. Frequency and duration of services varies according to individual needs and goals.
Our Professional Team
Frazier Rehab Institute is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation for Rehab Facilities (CARF). All psychology staff have specialized training and/or experience in working with patients with medical and rehabilitation needs, and are licensed by the Kentucky Board of Examiners of Psychology. Neuropsychological services are provided by specially-trained neuropsychologists with a wide range of expertise.
If you are a physician seeking answers to any of the following questions, a referral for services may be appropriate:
- Does my patient have cognitive changes as a result of a neurological injury or disease?
- What is the nature or extent of the change or loss?
- What impact will the specific cognitive problems have on their everyday functioning?
- How likely is the patient to be able to return to work or school?
- Can rehabilitation improve functioning for return to school or work?
- How well will my patient be able to function at home and in the community?
- Are cognitive changes due to emotional factors, disease, or both?
- I think my patient has mild dementia. Can you help me track changes over time?
- My patient has acquired various neurological insults or a progressive neurological condition. Can you help me track their symptoms over time?
- I am concerned that my patient isn’t adjusting well to his/her diagnosis/injury. Can you evaluate and treat as necessary?
- Is my student / athelete cognitively prepared to return to school/ play?
A Neuropsychological Evaluation, contact us at (502) 585-3472 or fax order to (502) 582-7646.
A Psychological Evaluation and Therapy, contact us at (502) 582-7484 or fax order to (502) 582-7646.
- Brain Injury Program
- Stroke Rehab Program
- Neuro Rehab Program
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury/Concussion
- Pediatric Rehab Program
Frazier Rehab Institute
220 Abraham Flexner Way
Louisville, KY 40202