Spinal Cord Medicine Program
The Spinal Cord Medicine Program at Frazier Rehab Institute, located on the center of downtown Louisville Jewish Hospital Medical Campus, provides innovative, world-class treatment to those affected with spinal cord impairments resulting from trauma, disease or congenital abnormalities. Frazier Rehab Institute is one of only fourteen spinal cord model systems in the United States and is the lead center for the NeuroRecovery Network and the Locomotor Training Program under the direction of Susan Harkema, Ph.D.
Frazier’s Spinal Cord Medicine Program is one of the nation’s leading acute rehabilitation programs providing comprehensive treatment utilizing state-of-the-art technologies designed to maximize functional recovery. Our multi-disciplinary, patient-centered approach to care provides individualized treatment and support to patients and their families beginning in the acute hospital setting and continuing throughout the lifespan.
The new Frazier Rehab and Neuroscience Center houses our Outpatient and Day Rehab Programs, Spinal Cord Medicine Clinics, Neuroscience Collaborative Research Center and our intensive Inpatient Acute Rehabilitation Unit, which features:
- Private suites
- Private bathrooms
- 42 inch plasma screen televisions
- Free cable and internet access
- Therapy gyms and patient rooms on the same floor, with amazing views of the city skyline
- Multipurpose dining rooms for meals, educational purposes and recreational activities
In addition, Frazier Rehab Institute houses the Michael Brent Resource Center , a resource center developed in conjunction with Friends for Michael Inc. dedicated to providing information and resources regarding spinal cord injuries for inpatients, outpatients, families and community members.
Frazier Rehab Institute’s advanced spinal cord medicine inpatient and outpatient network provides the knowledge, experience and services needed to ensure successful outcomes; offering assistance and support throughout our patient’s entire life
Support our Healing Mission. Provide hope for a brighter future for people with spinal cord injuries.
Diagnoses treated in our Spinal Cord Medicine Program include, but are not limited to:
- Traumatic & Non-Traumatic Spinal Cord Injuries
- Spina Bifida
- Multiple Sclerosis
- ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
- Polio/ Post Polio Syndrome
Average Number of Visits 2011-2013
2013 2012 2011
Physical Therapy 73 75 48
Occupational Therapy 38 42 35
Spinal Cord Medicine Program Features
- NeuroRecovery Network & Locomotor training lead center, in partnership with the University of Louisville
- Human Locomotion Research Center, nationally/internationally renowned research in Spinal Cord Medicine
- Specialty spinal cord accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities (CARF)
- Spinal Cord Medicine Board Certified Physicians
- State-of-the-art, spinal cord medicine inpatient & outpatient rehab facilities.
- Specialized pediatric rehab facilities
- Innovative spinal cord medicine inpatient & outpatient therapies & services.
- Spinal Cord Medicine Primary Care Clinic & Specialty Clinics
- Assistive Technology Program
- Wheelchair Seating & Mobility Clinic
- Aquatic Therapy
- Extensive Community Fitness & Wellness and Adaptive Sports Programs
- Outpatient Pediatric Locomotor Training
For more information or to refer a patient call 1.866.540.7719 or 502.582.7676.
Frazier Rehab Institute
220 Abraham Flexner Way
Louisville, KY 40202
Jewish Hospital Health Center - Meade County
534 Fairway Drive
Brandenburg, KY 40108
Taylor Regional Hospital
1700 Old Lebanon Rd.
Campbellsville, KY 42718